Shattered Illusions—Yet Hope, Purpose And Determination Prevail

January 20, 2020

While I wrote this on New Year's Day, 2020, I posted it initially on the day celebrating the life of Martin Luther King.  His life reminds me of one of my favorite texts of the Talmud: "You are not required to complete the work, but neither are you free to desist from it". In the same spirit, I would offer this thought: "While we won't build a perfect world, we can build a better one".

I am reposting it today, the 4th of July,  because the enormous challenges which have hit our community and   Nation since that posting make the message even more relevant today. As I write in my short essay:

"I am lifted by the recognition that  we as a nation have been able to pull ourselves out of very deep abysses, though never without persistent and brave work and strong leadership". 

**************************************************************************

 January 1, 2020. Now at the age of 81, I never would have thought I would live long enough to write this. And do so with good health, and with my wife,  Francie at my side. We are blessed.


It is a fair time to look back and to try to look forward. 


The past couple of years present me with what I have to describe as many "shattered illusions".


Thirty years ago, I hoped and rather thought that the dissolution of the Soviet Union would result in Russia becoming part of a greater Europe in way or another.  Instead, over the last five years, our relations have turned adversarial. We are in a virtual new "Cold War". 


Thirty years ago, I hoped and rather expected that the economic development in China, which has proceeded far faster than I had anticipated, would lead to greater democratization.  That is not happening.  To the contrary, China is becoming intensely nationalistic and more repressive, especially to its own citizens.  While probably always destined to be competitive economically, we are today coming to see each other as enemies.


As recently as ten years ago, I continued to marvel at the European Community as a shining example of how countries who were former enemies could come together to advance their combined economic and, to some degree, political interests.  Today, that Community is fragile, buffeted by renewed nationalism and the prospect of the U.K's. leaving. 


Ten years ago, I along with countless others, celebrated the election of President Obama. I hoped and rather expected he would help bring the nation together and bring progress in racial understanding. Without faulting Obama, that has not happened. We have seen once again that the racial divide is deep and persisting. 


Ten years ago, I never could have imagined that the nation would elect a president of the United States possessing a character and acting in ways that would have him fired from Procter & Gamble or any other valued-based organization. 


Ten years ago, I would have found it hard to believe that the quagmire created by our tragically ill-conceived entry into Iraq would still have the Middle East in turmoil, with millions of refugees and thousands of people dying daily and proxy wars tearing up Iraq, Syria and Lebanon.


Nor could I have anticipated that the planet-threatening impact of climate change would become so devastatingly clear and scientifically affirmed yet so many still deny its very existence and the actions to confront it are so inadequate.


So too, the risk of nuclear disaster continues to increase as more nations (North Korea and Iran) develop the capability, existing treaties between Russia and the United States are on the verge of being abandoned, and the arms race gains new traction and, still, the key leaders of the U.S., Russia and China fail to sit-down at a table to figure out what exactly we’re going to do to contain this threat.


Five years ago, I never would have dreamed that the very existence of such a thing as truth would be questioned nor how difficult it would be to discern what it is, given the presence of fake media and the polarizing impact of media channels that are echo-chambers of existing polarized views.


And I could go on, but I won't.


Rather, I step back and I reflect on the incredible array of things for which I am grateful.


Above all, as always, Francie and my children and their spouses and our grandchildren. Good people. Honest people. Caring people. All in good health. Thank God. They are my most certain hope for the future. 


There are so many loyal friends, many close at hand.  And many distant, though still close in spirit.


There is Procter & Gamble, coming back strong in the business and in spirit. 


There is the success of Preschool Promise, already evident in kids being better prepared for kindergarten, the outcome of three decades of work.  And the Cincinnati Youth Collaborative continues as strong as ever.  


There is the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center, challenged financially but now with what, from all appearances, is strong leadership.


More broadly, as Nick Kristof points out in a recent column, in the long arc of human history, 2019 has probably been the best year ever.  Why does he say this?  It was probably the year in which children were least likely to die, adults were least likely to be illiterate and people were least likely to suffer excruciating and disfiguring diseases.


Every single day in recent years, another 325,000 people got their first access to electricity; more than 200,000 got piped water for the first time; and some 650,000 went online for the first time.


The greatest calamity for anyone is to lose a child.  That used to be common.  As recently as 1950, 27% of all children died by the age of 15.  Now, that figure has dropped to 4%.  


 I continue to believe in the power of love and respect for our fellow man to triumph over hate and envy. 

I am lifted by the instinct to do what is right and the unending examples of how with courage and determination and by working together, we have been able to accomplish what seemed to be impossible. I am lifted, too, by the recognition that  we as a nation have been able to pull ourselves out of very deep abysses, though never without persistent and brave work and strong leadership.


I would close with these words which conclude Jon Meacham's "The Soul of America"


"For all of our darker impulses, for all of our shortcomings, and for all of the dreams denied and deferred, the experiment begun so long ago, carried out so imperfectly, is worth the fight.  There is, in fact, no struggle more important, and none nobler, than the one we wage in the service of those better angels who, however besieged, are always ready for battle".

No comments:

Post a Comment