Frederick Douglass: His Life and Values and What They Mean Today

November 16, 2018


I just finished, early this morning,  ten days immersed in the inspiring biography of Frederick Douglass written by David Blight.

Knowing Professor Blight as I do,  I expected to enjoy this book; to find it informing and meaningful. I never expected, however, the incredible expansion of my appreciation for this man's life and values-- nor the inspiration I have taken from it--which this magnificent biography has provided. 

It comes to me at an age even older (80) than FD was at his death. That is significant to me. 

If there ever  would be a wavering in my own commitment and energy to "carry on" as best as I can to foster my highest ideals, the story of Douglass' life will serve as an antidote. 

The relevance of Douglass' life and David Blight's luminous presentation of it to the situation we face today in racial and ethnic relations is altogether clear, sobering and compelling. I don't know what Douglass would say in confronting the challenges we still have in front of us. My guess it would be to draw hope from the progress which has been made thanks in no small measure to the courage and stamina of men and women who perhaps with out knowing is followed his call to action--but I feel sure he would be vociferous in pointing out the chasms which still exist and  calling for our action and perhaps the providence of God to close them.

 I am very glad your book is enjoying strong sales on Amazon so more people will learn from and be inspired by it. I

I show below the posting about this book I just made on Amazon:

"What a man (Frederick Douglass), what a story of his life, what an insightful author (David Blight). The number of biographies which I have read go beyond counting. This is one of the three finest and, perhaps partly because of my age, (close to Douglass' at his death) the most inspiring. It is extraordinary in every respect. 

You leave this meticulously researched biography feeling you have lived Douglass' life alongside him., from beginning to end. You understand the challenges he has faced, the people who helped him along the way, and the people whose lives he changed. You marvel at his rhetorical and writing skills and the mind, heart and soul which drove and nurtured  them. 

You become deeply aware of his complexity, the challenge of his family relationships, the internal feuds and the external ones too, the depth of his providential belief, combined with his pragmatism. But above all there is his unrelenting courage and dedication to telling the truth about slavery and its legacy while never giving up hope and the demand for self reliance. It is hard to imagine anyone traveling as much at a time travel was not easy, especially for a black man and giving so many talks and writing so much as Douglass did.

David Blight's honest telling of Douglass' life reveals misjudgments and some petty grievances. We see Douglass as a human being, not perfect. But we see him much more as a giant, unwavering in his conviction in the demonic quality of slavery and the need to respect the dignity of every human being, regardless of color. I believe David Blight has in a way entered Douglass' mind and heart as well as another human being can. He has of course been greatly helped by Douglass'  three autobiographies but he goes beyond that to offer reasoned but never over reaching conclusions on his state  of mind, his motivations and concerns. 

Many words have been offered by esteemed historians in praise of Blight's work. "Magisterial", "comprehensive", "incandescent", "elegantly written", "a stunning achievement", "exceeds high expectations". I embrace them all. But I would add one more, in capital letters: "INSPIRATIONAL". 

Inspirational in Douglass' unceasing (to the week of his death) and uncompromising call for the end of discrimination against blacks and allowing them and everyone the Freedom that everyone cherishes and deserves. 

Inspirational, too, in the depth of caring and scholarship and sensitive and literate interpretation and narration which David Blight has brought to this work, which as he writes in the Acknowledgement, in many ways represents the product of his 'entire professional career'". 
 Reply  Reply All 

No comments:

Post a Comment